IDAHO LEGISLATURE ORGANIZATION
Boise--The Idaho Legislature met this week for their organizational session. This is when they choose their leadership teams and make committee assignments.
The Senate has a new leadership team (three of the four positions in the majority party were replaced). It was expected that with more conservatives elected to the Senate during the recent election, that the leadership would follow suit and also be more conservative. That didn’t happen. The new Senate leadership team is as follows:
· President Pro-Tem: Senator Brent Hill from Rexburg
· Majority Leader: Senator Bart Davis from Idaho Falls
· Assistant Majority Leader: Chuck Winder from Boise
· Majority Caucus Chair: John McGee from Caldwell
The Minority party leadership team also was changed in the Senate. That team is as follows:
· Minority Leader: Edgar Malepeai from Pocatello
· Assistant Minority Leader: Les Bock from Boise
· Caucus Chair: Michelle Stennett from Ketchum
There were also a few changes in committee chairmanships in Transportation, Local Government and Resources and Environment.
On the House side the Leadership team for the majority party remained the same but there was some shakeup in committee assignments and chairmanships. There are new chairs for the Commerce and Human Resources committee, Health and Welfare, Judiciary Rules and Administration, Transportation and Defense and for the Ways and Means committee. It has been a long time since five different committee chairs were changed without a change in the Leadership.
The Majority leadership team is as follows:
· Speaker of the House: Lawerence Denney from Midvale
· Majority Leader: Mike Moyle from Star
· Assistant Majority Leader: Scott Bedke from Oakley
· Caucus Chair: Ken Roberts from Donnelly